11.-13. September 2020
Start: 00
00 : 00 : 00
et en ru fi de lv sv

10 km

 

 

SIGHTS ON THE COURSE

 

This memorial, completed to mark the 100th birthday of beloved national author A. H. Tammsaare (1878-1940), is situated in Tammsaare park in central Tallinn. The writer is depicted in a pensive mood sitting on a bench. In choosing the location of the memorial, the authorities bore in mind that the New Market that once stood where the park is today was a favourite spot of the author's, where he loved to observe people. The memorial was designed by sculptor Jaak Soans and architect Rein Luup.

Baltic Station Market is a unique market in Estonia, which includes nearly 300 traders on three floors. On the underground floor, there is a supermarket, a sports club, and various services. On the ground floor, there is a large hall for fish and meat, a street for vegetables, and a versatile street food area with nearly 20 dining options. The first floor is mainly devoted to Estonian design and crafts, clothing, household goods, and antiques. The mission of the Baltic Station Market is to promote a healthy and balanced diet, value clean and authentic raw materials, and respect the exquisite art of cooking.

The representative square of Tallinn – Freedom Square is a popular meeting place designed for pedestrians. The monument to the War of Independence is also located there. Over the years, the square has gone by many names: Heinaturg (Hay Market), Peetri plats (Peter’s Square), and Võiduväljak (Victory Square) among them. It was first named Freedom Square in 1939, remaining that way until 1948. The name was readopted in 1989. The defensive structures found at archaeological excavations have been preserved and stored in the parking lot under the square; the remains of the guard gates of the defence tower can be seen at the end of Harju Street through a glass screen.

The Fat Margaret Museum/ Visitor Centre, which belongs to the UNESCO Heritage list, is a unique complex that provides an overview of maritime trade, maritime jobs, and navigation in the Middle Ages and in the era of sailing, steam boats, and motor boats. Guests can visit spaces that were previously used by the employees. In total, we have 1,000 m² of exhibition space. Our most special showpiece is the 700-year-old wreck of a cog found in Kadriorg in 2015. Approximately 70 ship models can be seen, 17 of which have been designed for the exhibition. There are nearly 700 items and 50 digital and hands-on solutions.

Tammsaare Park is located in the centre of Tallinn, between the Estonia Theatre and Viru Keskus shopping centre. In 1896, one corner of the park became the new site of Tallinn’s market, which was formerly located on Town Hall Square. From 1903–1905, the park was home to a giant wooden ‘Interimstheater’ – a barn-type hall that was a venue for theatre performances and cinema screenings. When this building burnt down, the space was landscaped and pathways were constructed. In 1978, a statue of A. H. Tammsaare was erected in the centre of the park to mark the Estonian author’s 100th birthday.

The barbican of Viru Gate was part of the defence system of Tallinn city wall built in the 14th century. A couple of centuries later, it already had 8 gates that consisted of several towers and curtain walls connecting them. The main tower of a gate was always square and the barbicans were equipped with one or two small round towers. As the entrances to the Old Town were widened, several gates were demolished. The Viru Gate had to pay its dues to a horse-drawn tram route that connected the Old Market with Kadriorg. However, the corner towers were preserved; also, you can still see a part of the bastion that is called Musumägi. Viru Street with its many shops and restaurants has become one of the busiest pedestrian streets in the Old Town.
The oldest sections of Tallinn's city wall were built in the 13th century. During the next three centuries, it became one of the largest and strongest defence systems in the entire Northern Europe. More than a half of the magnificent defence system has been preserved as a city wall - this includes 1.85 km of the wall, 26 defence towers, 2 gates and fragments of two front gates.
Patkuli viewing platform is a good place for examining the city wall, and a number of towers are open for visitors.
You have a chance to walk on a small section of the wall that connects the Nunne, Sauna and Kuldjala towers. The wall has a wonderful view of the Old Town and Toompea.
Patarei fortress in Tallinn, part of European architectural heritage, is a Classical defensive structure that has retained its stylistic purity. This is a memorial to the victims of communism and fascism, as well as a meaningful symbol of resistance on the part of martyrs of the Republic of Estonia. The construction of Patarei Sea Fortress started under the orders of Nicholas I in 1828. After completion, it began operating as an artillery battery. The premises covering four hectares have had different functions – barracks and a prison. The exhibition area ‘Communism is a prison’, introducing the ideology and crimes of communism and the history of the building, is open in Patarei prison. The exhibition area covers nearly 1,200 square meters in the eastern wing of the prison, where you can see the original interior and prison yard.
The most exciting maritime museum in Europe is located in the Seaplane Harbour! About 200 authentic items are on display at the historical seaplane hangar: a submarine called Lembit, a century-old icebreaker Suur Tõll, a seaplane called Short 184, remains of the oldest ship found in Estonia, and much more. There is also cafe MARU and a museum shop. Globe-trotting in a submarine, having your picture taken in a navy uniform, an aquarium, simulators, throwing paper airplanes, a children's corner with drawing tools, building blocks, an authentic sailboat, and an outdoor playground – programmes and materials meant for independent visits are playful and broaden the horizon of children and adults alike.
The building of Estonian Drama Theatre is the oldest theatre in Estonia (1910) that has been preserved in its original form. The Nordic Art Nouveau building was designed by architects Nikolai Vassilyev and Aleksei Bubyr from St. Petersburg, whose work was awarded the first prize at the largest international architectural competition of the beginning of the 20th century. The Estonian Drama Theatre has been operating in the attractive German theatre building located in the centre of Tallinn since 1924 when Draamastuudio Teater was founded by the first graduating class of Estonia’s first theatre school; in 1937, it was renamed the Estonian Drama Theatre. Although the name does not indicate that it is the national theatre, the Drama Theatre has served in this capacity for a long time. The theatre has always specialized in productions of classic plays from world literature and contemporary drama from different countries.
In Rotermann Quarter, in the heart of Tallinn, between the Old Town, the port, and Viru Square, old industrial buildings that have been given new functions stand next to modern architecture. The industrial area started to thrivingly develop in the 19th century and it was the location for a department store, a factory that produced starch, spirit, tables, and pasta, a mill that produced bread, flour, and groat, buildings of a steam saw, and a salt warehouse, which is one of the most unique preserved limestone structures in Estonia. Currently, the building houses the Museum of Estonian Architecture, which was built on the basis of a design by a Baltic German Ernst Boustedt in 1908. There are several restaurants, shops, and the multiplex Coca Cola Plaza in Rotermann Quarter.
   
 

Jüri Lossmann was the first Estonian who won an Olympic medal for the Republic of Estonia and he won it in marathon, back in 1920 in Antwerp. With the time of 2:32.48 he got the silver medal; the gold medal was only 12,8 seconds away. Jüri's marathon result stayed as the Estonian record for 38 years and until today, his medal remains Estonia's only Olympic medal in the running distances. 

Year 2020, marks 100 years since the first Republic of Estonia's Olympic medal and 4th February is Jüri Lossmann's birthday.

Look back to 1920