6.- 8. September 2019
Start: 00
00 : 00 : 00
et en ru fi de lv sv

42,195 km

 

 

SIGHTS ON THE COURSE

 

In 1935-1938 a two storey beach building was completed on the Stroomi beach and a 100 metres long bridge to the sea, music pavilion, changing rooms, kiosks, swings etc. In 1950 the beach building was destroyed in a fire, but today a new building is open. The green area has been renewed, walking paths created along with bicycle roads and grass pits, benches and grilling areas are also available. There are many playgrounds for children of different age and fitness areas for adults. On the beach park area is also a lifeguard post with kiosks renting beach equipments, snacks or refreshments.
Baltic Station Market is a unique market in Estonia, which includes nearly 300 traders on three floors. On the underground floor, there is a supermarket, a sports club, and various services. On the ground floor, there is a large hall for fish and meat, a street for vegetables, and a versatile street food area with nearly 20 dining options. The first floor is mainly devoted to Estonian design and crafts, clothing, household goods, and antiques. The mission of the Baltic Station Market is to promote a healthy and balanced diet, value clean and authentic raw materials, and respect the exquisite art of cooking.

The representative square of Tallinn – Freedom Square is a popular meeting place designed for pedestrians. The monument to the War of Independence is also located there. Over the years, the square has gone by many names: Heinaturg (Hay Market), Peetri plats (Peter’s Square), and Võiduväljak (Victory Square) among them. It was first named Freedom Square in 1939, remaining that way until 1948. The name was readopted in 1989. The defensive structures found at archaeological excavations have been preserved and stored in the parking lot under the square; the remains of the guard gates of the defence tower can be seen at the end of Harju Street through a glass screen.

The Fat Margaret Museum/ Visitor Centre, which belongs to the UNESCO Heritage list, is a unique complex that provides an overview of maritime trade, maritime jobs, and navigation in the Middle Ages and in the era of sailing, steam boats, and motor boats. Guests can visit spaces that were previously used by the employees. In total, we have 1,000 m² of exhibition space. Our most special showpiece is the 700-year-old wreck of a cog found in Kadriorg in 2015. Approximately 70 ship models can be seen, 17 of which have been designed for the exhibition. There are nearly 700 items and 50 digital and hands-on solutions.

The barbican of Viru Gate was part of the defence system of Tallinn city wall built in the 14th century. A couple of centuries later, it already had 8 gates that consisted of several towers and curtain walls connecting them. The main tower of a gate was always square and the barbicans were equipped with one or two small round towers. As the entrances to the Old Town were widened, several gates were demolished. The Viru Gate had to pay its dues to a horse-drawn tram route that connected the Old Market with Kadriorg. However, the corner towers were preserved; also, you can still see a part of the bastion that is called Musumägi. Viru Street with its many shops and restaurants has become one of the busiest pedestrian streets in the Old Town.
The oldest sections of Tallinn's city wall were built in the 13th century. During the next three centuries, it became one of the largest and strongest defence systems in the entire Northern Europe. More than a half of the magnificent defence system has been preserved as a city wall - this includes 1.85 km of the wall, 26 defence towers, 2 gates and fragments of two front gates.
Patkuli viewing platform is a good place for examining the city wall, and a number of towers are open for visitors.
You have a chance to walk on a small section of the wall that connects the Nunne, Sauna and Kuldjala towers. The wall has a wonderful view of the Old Town and Toompea.

Patarei fortress in Tallinn, part of European architectural heritage, is a Classical defensive structure that has retained its stylistic purity. This is a memorial to the victims of communism and fascism, as well as a meaningful symbol of resistance on the part of martyrs of the Republic of Estonia. The construction of Patarei Sea Fortress started under the orders of Nicholas I in 1828. After completion, it began operating as an artillery battery. The premises covering four hectares have had different functions – barracks and a prison. The exhibition area ‘Communism is a prison’, introducing the ideology and crimes of communism and the history of the building, is open in Patarei prison. The exhibition area covers nearly 1,200 square meters in the eastern wing of the prison, where you can see the original interior and prison yard.

The most exciting maritime museum in Europe is located in the Seaplane Harbour! About 200 authentic items are on display at the historical seaplane hangar: a submarine called Lembit, a century-old icebreaker Suur Tõll, a seaplane called Short 184, remains of the oldest ship found in Estonia, and much more. There is also cafe MARU and a museum shop. Globe-trotting in a submarine, having your picture taken in a navy uniform, an aquarium, simulators, throwing paper airplanes, a children's corner with drawing tools, building blocks, an authentic sailboat, and an outdoor playground – programmes and materials meant for independent visits are playful and broaden the horizon of children and adults alike.
The Tallinn Zoo is located in the naturally beautiful Veskimetsa park forest that is rich in species. Boasting the most exciting collection of wildlife in Northern Europe, it is home to more than 11,000 specimens belonging to almost 600 species or subspecies from Australia to Alaska. We have giant elephants and rhinoceros, dangerous predators, simians, polar bears, and many other exotic species. Tallinn Zoo also has the best collection of wild goats and sheep in the world, as well as a remarkable number of eagles and vultures, and an excellent selection of owl and stork species.
In Rotermann Quarter, in the heart of Tallinn, between the Old Town, the port, and Viru Square, old industrial buildings that have been given new functions stand next to modern architecture. The industrial area started to thrivingly develop in the 19th century and it was the location for a department store, a factory that produced starch, spirit, tables, and pasta, a mill that produced bread, flour, and groat, buildings of a steam saw, and a salt warehouse, which is one of the most unique preserved limestone structures in Estonia. Currently, the building houses the Museum of Estonian Architecture, which was built on the basis of a design by a Baltic German Ernst Boustedt in 1908. There are several restaurants, shops, and the multiplex Coca Cola Plaza in Rotermann Quarter.
Kalamaja's Park - This former burial ground is now a park featuring tall trees, pathways, children’s play areas and a historic bell tower. The first written records of the Kalamaja Cemetery date back to 1561, during the Livonian War, when 2,000 Swedish soldiers were buried here. In the 18th century, the cemetery served as the burial place for the Holy Ghost Church and Swedish St. Michael’s Church congregations. The gate tower, added in 1780, is still in place today. The cemetery was closed at the beginning of 1950 and redesigned into a park in 1964. Since 1993 the park has been a nature protection area.

This week, AIMS (Association of International Marathons and Distance Races) measurer-administrator Hugh Jones is visiting Tallinn to officially measure the Tallinn Marathon 42.2km, 21.1km and Optibet 10km courses.